Can you tell me more about the Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)?

The Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) evaluates to what extent the education received by a foreign national outside of Canada compares to a similar education completed inside Canada.

It is required for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) and is often recommended for the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) or for other purposes (for example, it may be helpful when applying for jobs in Canada). In addition, an ECA is necessary in order to receive points for education in the Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).

The procedure can vary, but usually involves sending copies of diplomas/degrees, school transcripts or other relevant documents and paying a fee to the designated ECA organization which will assess the documents and issue an ECA report to the foreign national.